Breast Reduction is often quite a misunderstood surgical option. At Altiora Plastic Surgery and Spa, we say this because some misinformed people believe this is a purely aesthetic choice. However, we know that breast reduction is a medical, cosmetic and psychological decision.
First of all, by definition, “a breast reduction is the removal of “excess breast tissue and skin to achieve a breast size in proportion with your body and alleviate discomfort.”
Why Breast Reduction?
A woman who wishes for smaller breast size might have one, two or all three of these classic types. (Medical, cosmetic, and psychological conditions) This blog will investigate some of the problems this surgery can solve. Let’s examine a few problem descriptions and see some of the solutions breast reduction can achieve.
Physical and Psychological
1. Back and Neck Pain: Ms. L who is now in her thirties, has tolerated reoccurring neck, shoulder and back pain since she first blossomed into her triple D sized bra.
2. Inflammation: Ms. X is suffering from deep grooves etched into her skin over both her shoulder joints. Now in her early forties, she faces the constant dig of wide, supportive bra straps. Even more serious, she is tolerating constant abrasion and actually raw inflammation beneath the folds of her overly generous breasts.
3. Limitations: Ms. C loved tennis in her youth. Now, she is only in her late 20’s. However, she has is finding it increasingly difficult to participate in her beloved game. Recently, she has felt like her large bosom has placed more and more limits on her active physical abilities. In fact, she feels handicapped. As this feeling has grown, she has begun to slip into moods of depression.
4. Embarrassment: Ms. H has always been a little introverted. It is true, some girls might delight in the extra attention merited by a large bosom. However, Ms H is becoming increasingly self-consciousness, especially in mixed company. Likewise, she can no longer enjoy clothes shopping. You see, the design esthetic of modern clothing does not allow for a sizing that is three sizes out of proportion.
Therefore, Ms. H longs for a sense of balance and normality, free from the emotional difficulties of the undesired attention. She feels her self-esteem dropping steadily downward.
The Pros and Cons of Breast Reduction Surgery
All of the women in the above descriptions have good reasons to investigate a surgical solution. Do you have similar problems ? So, read on if you suffer a combination of these women’s difficulties.
You see, if any of them have stories like yours, Altiora Plastic Surgery and Medspa invites you to consider breast reduction. And we want you to consider the pros and cons of breast reduction surgery before you make your decision.
Breast Reduction: More than Pretty
When your surgeon removes extra breast fat, tissue and skin, he can reduce your breast size to be in proportion to your body. Consequently, this makes this procedure a popular aesthetic option. However, this surgery is also popular because it can alleviate the pain as noted in the stories of Ms. L and Ms. X. It can alleviate the physical discomfort caused by the size and the weight of overly large breasts.
A Breast Beduction: More than Cosmetic
You see, overly large breasts can be a true health concern. You might experience discomfort and/or pain in your shoulders, neck and back. Then, you might not realize it, but large breasts can also cause rashes and abrasion the skin over which they drape.
Just as in the case of Ms. H., they can interfere with certain activities and physical fitness pursuits. Additionally, overly large breasts can even contribute to upper extremity numbness, tingling and headaches.
Making Friends with Gravity
Typically, women describe the position of larger breasts as “too low” on the chest to meet the ideals of fashion and beauty. And they dislike the large size of their areolae.
- On the one hand, when the surgeon shifts the breast tissue upward and removes the extra weight, a woman finds the positioning of the bosom more aesthetically appealing.
- On the other hand, this procedure affects a women’s posture.
Thus, smaller breasts decrease pressure on the bra-straps. And a woman might discover the surgery and her new posture have relieved or decreased the tension on her neck muscles.
Breast Reduction Surgery: Possible Negative Effects
Despite so many positive effects, Altiora still feels it is important to be aware of the possible negative effects from this surgery.
1. It is important for you to realize that you will have some surgical scars.
2. Perhaps you will be among the patients who experience partial loss of some nipple sensitivity.
Here at Altiora in breath-taking Sarasota, Florida, your board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Orlando Cicilioni, will discuss all of the relevant issues with you at your consultation.
Optimizing Your Surgical Experience
As you research this procedure, we remind you that open, honest communication between you and your plastic surgeon is critical to the best outcome. Dr. Cicilioni has stated on several occasions, “Each patient is different. And I help guide each individual patient personally though the decision process to help her decide which is right for her, in order to achieve a long-lasting and natural appearing result.”
He performs “these surgeries in accredited outpatient hospital facilities, to ensure operating room sterility, excellent anesthesia, and most importantly, patient safety and comfort. The privacy of my patient is extremely important and kept confidential.”
Is Breast Reduction Surgery A Good Option For You?
As we have seen in this article, overly large breasts can result in physical and psychological problems.
Therefore, for some patients a surgical procedure is not just the best answer. Ultimately, it is the only answer “for women with excessively large, pendulous breasts, a condition known as breast hypertrophy.”
In general, breast reduction surgery is usually performed as an outpatient procedure that, on average, takes about two to three hours. An outpatient procedure means the patient is able to return home the same day of surgery or the next morning.
So, if you are experiencing problems with your breast size, shape and position, we invite you to explore your options. The options include breast reduction surgery and breast lift surgery.
So, why not call Altiora Plastic Surgery and Medspa to make a consultation appointment with Dr. Cicilioni.
As always, we thank you for reading our blog and we hope you feel more knowledgeable about breast reduction surgery.