In this blog, we have changed the traditional S.O.S to “Save Our Skins!” We are raising the banner in a campaign to combat the damaging condition of both exterior and interior stress on our skin. Specialists in the fields of Cosmetic surgery and dermatology have known for many years that, “There are very few skin conditions that stress does not exacerbate.” Dr. Ranella Hirsch of Boston states that, “Dryness, acne, rosacea, eczema, sensitivity, redness, and wrinkles, are all exacerbated by stress. Experts in dermatology and in cosmetic surgery have given us several suggestions that empower us against the effects of stress on our skin:
1. A Little Psychology: For the good of your skin, you must learn to recognize the underlying problem that is often manifested on the skin of your face. Once you know what is causing your stress, you can begin to treat the problem at the basic level in your mind and lifestyle. Your skin can heal, as you minimize the stress. But how?
The Orlando Cosmetic Surgery Anti-Stress Primer: Four Keys For You
When you find yourself stressing out, we have some basic keys for you. It might sound strange, but you can save your skin by controlling your emotions.
First Key: Make The Choice: No one can force you to feel anything. It is true you can not prevent other people’s actions, you can only take responsibility for your own reactions.
Second Key: Acceptance: If a stress provoking situation cannot be changed, accept it for what it is. Find ways to cope with unchangeable life situations. Know what certainties you can not change: death of a loved one, terminal disease, the national economy. Your skin will reflect your less worried and stressed viewpoint.
Third Key: Gratitude: Negative attitudes affect our physical, spiritual, and mental wellbeing. So, count your blessings, so to speak! Examples: life, health, strength, friends, family, nature. If nothing else, remind yourself of what negative expressions and recurring brow furrows are doing to your wrinkles and lines.
Fourth Key: Relax, Refresh, Rejuvenate! Relaxation is not as difficult as you might think. It does not have to take a long time. Just do 10 or 15 minutes of an enjoyable activity each day. It does not have to be complicated: Read a book or talk to a friend.
“Stress does not have to be a part of life. Successful stress management is all about learning how and when to take control. It’s important to remember that you control how stress affects you. You can control the stress or let stress control you.”
2. A No Brainer: Exercise releases endorphins in the body. These natural pain-killers can calm your stress. We know that you know this, but we are not sure that you realize how much it affects the condition of the skin!
3. A Cooling Off Period: Experts tell us to avoid very hot showers or baths. Check your soap to make certain it is detergent-free. The Orlando Cosmetic Surgery Clinic hopes you Moisturize quickly after bathing.
4. A Sunshine Caution: Wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher daily to protect your skin from sun exposure. We have previously published some ways to combat the UV rays that stress and destroy skin cells. As we slowly move into Spring and Summer, we hope you will review them.
5. A Dose Of Inner Cosmetics: We call the foods that will enhance your skin, your inner cosmetics. Your skin does not thrive on a diet rich in meats, processed foods and white sugars. (Caution: We are sorry, but we have to include sodas in this black list).
“In a process called “glycation,” high levels of glucose get deposited on collagen and destroy it. So, high sugar foods accelerate the aging of skin.” According to expert, Dr. Ava Shamban in Hollywood, California, “Tissues are less flexible when glycolated.”
6. A Helping Hand: The Orlando Cosmetic Surgery Clinic endorses the skin-nourishing, products by Dr. Z. Obagi. “Today, through ZO Skin Health, Inc., Dr. Zein Obagi has developed a complete full circle approach that encompasses comprehensive solutions designed to work hand-in-hand: ZO® Medical, therapeutic products for physician-guided treatment, and ZO® Skin Health, products for daily and preventative care.”
Perhaps you owe it to yourself to see how these products can help your skin cope with the extrinsic and intrinsic stress of life in the twenty first century.
7. A Helping Heart: At Olando Cosmetic Surgery, we offer extesive skin care and repair options. Next week we will take a deeper look at what our peels and lasers can do for your stressed out or aging skin. If you want a preview, just click to visit our newly enriched page on Skin.
Behind the Gloss: Beyond the glossy magazine advertisments about skin care, is a new, deeper, more pervasive term, that ties your skin with emotional and physical issues: We call it “Skin Health.” We agree with Dr. OBAGI’S concept that specific “Skin Health” involves both medical and self care. Such care creates smooth, strong, firm skin that is even-toned, hydrated and disease-free.